Center for Dirt and Gravel Road Studies
The Center for Dirt and Gravel Road Studies plays a key role in environmental research and outreach at the Larson Institute. The Center’s focus is on environmentally sensitive research and maintenance training, specifically geared toward applying advanced techniques and materials to existing and reconstructed unpaved roadways. The Center provides education, guidance, and technical assistance to minimize the impact of unpaved roads and trails on natural landscapes and hydrology. Click here for details on the Center’s initiatives and capabilities.
Through a contract with the Pennsylvania State Conservation Commission (SCC), the Center provides services to Pennsylvania's Dirt and Gravel Road Maintenance Program. The Center’s efforts on this front include:
- Development and delivery of Environmentally Sensitive Maintenance (ESM) training.
- Technical documentation of ESM practices.
- Educational efforts for conservation districts.
- Technical assistance on projects.
- Development and maintenance of a GIS System to track and map projects.
- Advising the SCC on program policies.